Choosing a speciality

With NEET PG counselling going on, most of you are confused regarding with specialty to opt for.
And what I’ve heard from people are going crazy over respiratory medicine this year. Another COVID19 thing.
Here I’m just posting my thoughts, hoping it will be of help to at least someone.
If not the 4.5ys of MBBS then, surely that 1yr of internship gave you some insight for sure. Isn’t it?
For 1complete year you did work in almost every department, and you loved some of the departments while hate others. Right? Internship totally changes your perception of that particular branch.
Personally, I’ve been crazy about Surgery since 2nd year, was expose to some small procedures during my clinical posting and i absolutely loved it, at the same time I didn’t like obstetrics that much, that chaos, women yelling and looking at placenta I told myself I’m not getting into OBGN no matter what. But, then internship happened, it completely changed me, Now I believe General surgery is boring except the ER and Trauma part, and OBGN was one of the hectic postings, it used to be so tiring, some days were so exhausting that, I could feel every inch of my body aching. But it used to give me such a high, I absolutely loved working there. In that chaos I never lost it.
So was NICU, earlier I was scared of babies, yes scared! I used to have this feeling in back of my mind that babies are so fragile, I can’t handle them. During my internship I got the NICU rotation and the residents over there taught me so well, that now I’m working in a Neonatology department of a multi-speciality hospital
What I want you to know is even if, nothing clicked to you something like this, you surely know what you don’t want, which speciality you don’t want to get into. And that's a start;


Now,

  • 1st, decide whether you are the surgical one or the non surgical one. Are you comfortable working around blood, bile, body cavities opened up in front of you or you are the one who enjoy more of managing patients. Do you enjoy patient Interaction or that is something you like the least.
  • 2nd is lifestyle. What sort of Lifestyle you want to have in future because residency is tough, it’s tough for everyone. You want more of a relax family oriented lifestyle or you enjoy working at odd hours.
  • 3rd, your circle, more of your locality where you are going to practice. India being overpopulated there is saturation in almost every branch. That is more of geographical, regarding that you can connect with local doctors around you and seek some advice. Still I’d say it doesn’t play that important role, because you never know what would be the scenario by the time you complete your post graduation.
  • 4th, keep super specialization in mind, whether you want to settle a bit early in life.
  • 5th, institute or city where you want to do your post graduation from. There can be n number of factors for that, Language, food, lifestyle, how far that is from your home, travels and much more that’s totally personal.
  • Keeping all these factors in mind make a list. Of colleges and the specialty. Do some research.
If you are a topper, well congrats you can easily get your dream branch. No problem for you.
Those who have got the middle rank or not so good rank, you need to work on your options, when you are going to fill the choices, you need to know, if not this than this. The list might totally look like Internal Medicine at MAMC, but OBGN at Seth GS. That has to be tailored by you and you only. Most important factor in deciding the specialty is love for that particular specialty. Ask yourself; is this what you want to do for rest of your life? You would ask like 100 people they will give you 100 different opinions, but what matters the most is what you want. Another important thing which I want you too keep in your mind is, during your internship, you enjoyed a particular posting that might be because you had your friends with you in that rotation or the residents were really nice or hated some because of the people you were working with or whatsoever reason. That should not be the reason for taking a particular specialty.
There at a particular department residents or consultants told you it’s not a good branch, it hectic and more, while at the other department you were told good things, Remember everyone is different everyone got a different perspective. In every department there are two type of doctors. One who love that particular specialty others not so much. Don’t let their perceptions choose your specialty.
As I said earlier, what matters the most is what you want to do for the rest of your life. What specialty you are ready to get married to and make it work. Because every specialty demands hard work and dedication, all you have to do is decide with whom you want to go.
Good luck!
I hope you get your dream branch.
@Dr. NamMedical Specialties
https://www.instagram.com/dr_nam7/
verylifeofmedico.blogspot.com
Do lemme know how this helped you?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keep up with Studies, during quarantine